Total Pageviews

Tuesday, April 29, 2014

April showers, brings what for May?

April has been a little of an anomaly and really great at providing opportunities and challenges.  I was the guest speaker to a great group of students in Texas Lutheran University's Intro. to Social Entrepreneurship.  This was a great challenge and  reminded me of when Rebecca Powers came and spoke to my own leadership class not too many years ago.  I remembered how her personal testimony became so powerful to our class, so I led off with my own story and then shared about Children At Heart.  The students asked engaging questions for most of the hour and 45 minutes that we had together, and I appreciate the graciousness of the professor who I think is pretty cool- she has a law practice focused on nonprofits- cool right?

I also had the opportunity to be the keynote speaker for the Professional Women of Williamson County's luncheon.  It was their year-ending culmination luncheon in which this year they presented over $10,000 in scholarships.  It might have been the shortest keynote ever given- I was scheduled only 10 minutes to speak, as they wanted to highlight each of the young women also receiving scholarships.  I focused my time on talking about how we each in every word and deed are writing our own stories.  These stories will serve as reference points for some, and for Wesley, and maybe others, the story serves as his identity and heritage.  I encouraged each person in the room to live their own best story.  After hearing a little of each of the young women's bios I was so impressed and thrilled to have shared a common thread with them, as a former recipient.  If this is what home grown in our community means, then I know we are doing something right.

I also may have been pursued for a leadership position for another nonprofit in our community, and the prospect was really an educating experience.  I was able to ask myself questions I haven't asked in a while.  Questions that also push norms of what can it mean to be an engaged mom and invested in your career...

Whats funny is when you consider career advancement as a newish mom is something I didn't really expect.  What I mean is the liberty in which acquaintances feel the freedom to remind you that motherhood should come first, or even some who would suggest now as an ok time to "slack", because you'll not get this time back and no one would notice (I WOULD).  I won't argue with that.  I make a very concerted effort that between the time I have from getting home until my son goes to sleep- he has 100% of my attention.  I just think what is weird is that people feel pretty free to tell me this stuff, but I'm pretty sure no one has ever approached my husband to remind him how fleeting childhood is.  It's not a real complaint... just weird stuff people do.

And that's April... looking forward to seeing what May brings!

No comments:

Post a Comment