Total Pageviews

Saturday, November 20, 2010

Preserving Authenticity

The excitement of a new class has fully set in, and the engaging atmosphere in the classroom has shifted dialogue to a whole new level. This week we were to have read Let Your Life Speak, Listening to the voice of vocation. Starting the class, Dr. Christian showed two video clips. One with inspirational leadership quotes from across the times. I wrote a couple down-
"Authority is a poor substitute for leadership".
"The more you say, the less they remember".
The other was "Lessons on Leadership: From Mandella to Obama".
We came to focus on the importance of preserving authenticity while in leadership, and how leadership by nature dwells in a state of tension. For example, the best leaders are incredibly authentic and empathizing, however, according to the video clips- Mandella reportedly will never show how deeply the 27 years of imprisonment hurt him, and yet some how beyond his pain he authentically found the common will to end an apartheid in South Africa.
The book, Let Your Life Speak, shared a common thread with Mandella's journey... the discussion of how "dark times" serve in the development and clarity of vision and leadership.
Dr. Christian then pulled 4 chairs up to the front of the class forming a semi-circle open to the class. He asked for 4 volunteers. I went, along with 3 other students, not knowing what the assignment would be. We ended up leading the book's discussion. As other students in the class had input, they would come, and tap one of us on the shoulder to join the conversation. It was a great time to provide introspection into the text and ourselves. We contemplated the purpose of "the dark times", anything from experiences with cancer to other times that leave you with little than surrender to cling to. Some students were blessed enough never to have gone through a time such as this, and wondered if they needed a similar situation to develop fully into a leader. (I pray they never will).

Through those formative moments, dark times or in the light of leadership preserving authenticity remains a central theme, and I look forward to next week as we dive into servant leadership.

2 comments:

  1. Amanda, I enjoyed reading these comments, as I am very anxious to start in the second cohort this spring at Concordia.

    I was wondering how the first cohort stays in touch, like FB or twitter.

    What I'm looking to do is find a student from the first cohort that would be willing to sell their textbooks each semester, since we will be taking the same courses. I think this would be beneficial to all students.

    Please let me know if you are interested or if you could help me get in contact with someone else that might be interested in this Textbook Buddy idea.

    Some texts obviously need to be purchased new, but on the others this would be a great way to get more money than the bookstores typically offer.

    Thanks again for your blog contributions. I dug the Dave Ramsey snowballing of classes, since I jsut finished Financial Peace University myself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. dpfahler,

    Thank you for your comment. In response to your question of how the first cohort communicates, it is largely through Concordia Email. The two cohorts don't communicate all that much between eachother, but our groups in our own cohorts do on a weekly basis. I think they set up a linked in account for this purpose.

    I do know several students in my cohort would be interested in selling their books, as I have already identified someone in the next cohort I will be selling mine to. I supposed the best way to accomplish this is to use the linked in group, or email me at amanda.keeter@ctx.edu and I will connect you with a current student.

    ReplyDelete