Total Pageviews

Monday, February 21, 2011

A growing focus- How my MBA and work are walking together


Several weeks ago I posted about our group project in Critical Thinking and my work with the Round Rock Chamber of Commerce's Legislative and Public Policy Committee. From our Briefing, I was able to talk for a moment with State Representative Larry Gonzales, and meet his Chief of Staff. As a result, I have scheduled them both for a tour next week. This timing couldn't be any more significant as state budget cuts threaten the programs our STARRY Agency has for those in need here in Central Texas.

Also, if you will remember, the group project our class has been given is to balance the federal budget, and as an individual project we are creating a Critical Thought Paper. Having seen what I've learned in our group project, I determined to make my individual paper related to the state budget and how it will affect vulnerable children and families in Central Texas served by STARRY.

This has lead to some exciting developments. Tomorrow I have been invited down to the State Capitol to meet with some movers and shakers to learn specifically what is in line for Health and Human Services. These will be great connections not only to use as resources for my paper, but to keep abreast of the latest developments, so I can do all that I can to protect those we serve, who are often unheard in the Capitol halls. With this experience, I hope to be utterly prepared as I meet with our State Representative, and share our passion for the hurting and abused children and families of our community.

Wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment