Total Pageviews

Monday, March 28, 2011

First Night of Organizational Behavior and Change

This past week was our first week back from Spring Break!  The first part of the week, I actually took two days off and took advantage of the fact that I had nothing to do.  Little did I know that rest was needed, when my husband contracted a terrible stomach bug that landed us in the hospital for an overnight stay.  We were discharged from the hospital on Sunday, I took another half a day off on Monday to make sure he was alright, and after my first full day of work, I headed to class to see about our first day of Organizational Behavior and Change. 

Dr. Green is our professor, and this is our first full 4 hour class.  Up until this time, we have had one class from 6-8 and another from 8-10, so I was a little nervous to see how one class for a full 4 hours would go.  I think the class in general has had a few nerves about this class, because towards the end we will be switching up our "groups".  These groups were the ones we were originally assigned to, and each week, we sit together as a team.  Many of us have developed wonderful friendships and a familiarity of how group projects work together.  I know I am going to miss my group, but also look forward to continuing this process and growing to learn how to work in a new team.

The night went GREAT!  Dr. Green is a delight, and engaged the students as an expert in her field, and light up the room with her wonderful sense of humor.  She did a great job of establishing expectations, and was the first professor we have had to actually ask us of our expectations.  This Cohort has great expectations, and I think it is a great way to engage this group of students by ensuring we are all starting out on the same page and understanding the values of the professors and students.

During the class, each current group will present a chapter each week to the class.  I do find that when you are learning new material, the opportunity to teach that material only helps me to learn it better.  So you know it was lucky team 1 that got the opportunity to present the very next week. 

A side bar- Collaboration is a buzz word currently and a highly valued skill set.  This program values collaboration and generally expresses that value through a group project in every class you have.  Generally my group has had time and ability to make meetings work, however, with one week turn around, you would be correct in assuming this is the one time my group had two of its members on vacation.  Its something you just have to work around, and find strength in other means of communicating rather than in person work groups.  It may have been work to push this project through, but I'm going to be happy to have it over with!

See my posting this week about what our group has got cooked up for our "teaching/learning" experience!

No comments:

Post a Comment