Total Pageviews

Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Inspirational Lie or Truth in Practice?

I think it's helpful sometimes to step away from the "inpsirational post" every so often and talk about the nuts and bolts of what it's like just being a student again, and some of the experiences around the workload.  If you have any questions I haven't touched on, please feel free to comment those, and I'll be happy to wrap them into my next posting.

I have class on Tuesday night. 

Something else you should know are my hours of operation at work.  We have a special set of hours in that we work 7:30-5:30 Monday-Thursday and then Fridays, we wrap up our 40 hours with 8:00-12:00.  Being that I'm in developement, these are merely lines in a coloring book, and to meet with donors or do presentations requires the flexibility to color outside of those lines, which can often mean lunches and before and after hour civic club presentations.  I'd say my average work week is about 45 hours, plus or minus.

Back to my point...

By the time I get to class on Tuesday night at 6PM, I have generally already worked 20 hours, if I include lunch appointments.  I usually get home on Tuesdays around 10:30, which makes for about a 15 hour day.  So by time I reach Wednesday morning, I have already pushed 25 hours... I have 22 more hours of "operation" and I haven't even begun the homework associated with that week.  Needless to say, when I arrive at 7:30am on Wednesday morning, often known as "hump day" for most work weeks, I feel like I've already climbed a mountain, only to realize it's not quite the peak. 

It's a cruel joke on replay every Wednesday.

And every Wednesday I remind myself... you can do anything for 2 years...

Here, as there are only 13 more classes this semester, and 15 next... I'm beginning to think I haven't been inspirationally lying to myself... but this really is true-you really can do this. You can do anything for 2 years.

No comments:

Post a Comment