Total Pageviews

Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Special Guests

Last night was a fun night of class filled with special guests!

We began the night in Decision Making and Strategy in Complex Situations, which is a complex mouthful in itself.  (I don't know that without reading the title, I've ever said that class name the same twice.  Generally I've just shortened it to Complex Decision Making). Moving on- We're beginning to focus on strategies for sustainability, including the TEN model from our text.  Last night we focused on the T- transparency. What began as a trend, and currently a hot buzz word- we discussed whether strategies of transparency are truly sustainable, and where's the line in the appropriate disclosure.  One example, was in our very own Concordia University Texas' move from the original location to our new home on 620.  At one point the old campus had been sold, but the new campus was not closed on.  The President had an open discussion about how if this didn't go through, the University would be, in a sense, homeless.  There was quite a chain of reactions, and as a result, needless worry. 

This makes me think back to our organizational change class where we discussed the processes of change- a point where the org unfreezes, works in a state of "being melted" and then is refrozen (structure to transition to new structure).  In the unfreezing and melting process, there's a lot of ambiguity and concern.  One realizes, perhaps in transparency there can be cases of needless transition, so it becomes a wager of being upfront, keeping everyone on the same page, but ensuring the moral of an organization doesn't take on needless bumps.

We then transitioned to focus on this week's case study of Countrywide Financial and the Sub Prime Mortgage Crisis.  At this point, the Business School's Leadership Advisory Committee came in and each group took on a few extra members to discuss the case and results.  I had to step out at this time, because our guest for the next class called and was there by my invitation, so I had to meet him in the parking lot, and introduce him to the Dean and Director of the MBA prior to the next class starting.

Our next class, Business, Society and Public Policy, is actually taught by the MBA Program Director and we had two special guests serve on a panel to discuss how business and policy come together.  My new friend, and State Representative, Larry Gonzales served on the panel, as well as Comal County Commissioner Greg Parker.

While both serve the Republican Party, they both have distinctive ideas regarding politics and leadership.  We spent an hour getting to know both of these gentlemen through questions asked by the professor, and then we got to open up for questions.
My take aways:
- The value of setting priorities (keeping family and faith before community service)
- Sometimes you don't set out for a political career, but it can happen to you!
-There is value to tenure and knowing truly what's at play, but there's a balance to understanding the usefulness of your leadership, and knowing you're not the only one who can do the job, so you need to make room for new leadership (These guys discussed term limits- one believed in them, the other didn't)

There were many good things shared, and I don't have my notes in front of me, but I am so thankful to both of these men, who have very busy days, and then took time from 7:30-9:30PM to invest in the education of others!  It was truly enriching.

Today at Children At Heart Ministries we had chapel.  A pastor from an Austin Baptist church came in and discussed the story of Joseph from Genesis.  He talked about how some in the room may be happy and satisfied with where they are currently, and others may be in a time of transition, or wondering what's next.  He likened his journey and ours to that of Joseph's, and concluded by saying, "Know that there's purpose in where you are," and "God's engineering you through this time for a future purpose."  I know that message could mean alot to those in the room, but it seemed like a special message delivered for me.  While, I don't have ambitions for politics, I have a drive for leadership that I JUST. CAN'T. SHAKE.  I try to tell myself to slow down, enjoy the journey, know that there has to be patience and preparation.  And while each one of these holds some truth... I can't help but question the norms... do I really have to be in my 30's to be open and aware that there's more to this picture- and engaged in that reality?  I do not want my age to hold me back in my eagerness.  Most of life is learned in participation through life- experience.  Of course there is a due learning curve- but I'm not afraid of one that's steep.  I'm eager to find myself in a place in life where I can begin doing as these special guests have done, and invest in the lives of others. (Deep breath)... and while there is this insatiable fire, I know my steps are guided, and I don't want to step out to where He's not leading.  So I will find my purpose in the here and now... but even in a heart of contentment- I will always be a passionate, driven agent for positive change.

No comments:

Post a Comment