Total Pageviews

Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Silent and Spoken Leadership

This morning I joined a meeting about business advocacy.  We help set priorities for the local area's agenda, and determine what might be upcoming issues.  This morning amendments were being made to the prior year's agenda when we came across a debatable topic.  The priority read something like we support the retraining and support of the unemployed, but at the end it threw in a qualifier for receiving unemployment services.  People would have to be drug tested to be approved. 

There were many points made about whether this followed a position of innocent until proven guilty, who would pay for such a profound program, or that perhaps it would be better to include suggested volunteer service to continue unemployment support.  The final discussion point was in question of whether or not mandatory drug testing was a true top priority, and if not, to remove the language.

Throughout the conversation, multiple comments were made, derogatorily towards the fact that unemployment had been stretched to cover an individual for 99 weeks. Many commented that no one should require this length of the program, and it felt that they were indicting these people as free riders of the system... choosing not to go to work, because- why work, when you have unemployment?

Leut. Governor David Dewherst also came recently to Round Rock.  In some of his opening statements he talked about job opportunities in Texas.  How it would be hard to remain unemployed, and everyone he was talking to agreed- 99 weeks of unemployment was pretty much for the free riders.

I don't question that any system will have abuse.  There should be mechanisms in place to prevent that, and technically the unemployment system does require proof of applications and job seeking.  Should it be strengthened? Yes.  But as I looked around the room, feeling the judgement some had, I wondered- do they have a face that goes with the program?  Do they personally know someone supported by or abusing the unemployment system.  Where are these thoughts founded?  My heart was beating faster, and I was trying really hard to say nothing, but those 99 weekers have a face to me.  It's my dad.

Where does leadership take us?  What does Christian leadership call for us to do?  Is it best to just hold in, and not rock the boat, or do we stand up for those who go unrepresented in the room?  A lot of times, people just don't know... they may not have a face that comes to mind that makes "those people" "our people".

I hold it in my heart not to judge those who at the time were unknowingly saying things that I took personal.  That's life.  Sometimes its easy to assume everyone in the room holds similar perspectives, or that a popular concept may not hold truth for everyone. 

As the topic here concluded I did end up saying something.  I shared that my dad was one of those 99 weekers.  He was looking for a job, but was overly specialized.  He doesn't have a college degree, so due to a practice that tries to minimize the number of incoming resumes, immediately he's eliminated from any job opening.  I shared that he was even willing to take a job at a chain pet store, but when it came down to it- the pay to clean out cages (work) just couldn't pay what 15 years of experience had earned him in unemployment that he had paid into and rightfully earned.  I didn't share that even with unemployment we had to sell my childhood home.  That my dad never really could find a job, and I'm so proud of him now as he goes back to school to re skill as a nurse.  The people in that room didn't know what it was like to go all those 99 weeks praying something would open up.  Fear that the bills would prevail, and hopes to not lose the home.  Yes 99 weeks can be a long time for a free loader, but it was a very long time of praying for an opportunity to present itself... one that never did.

What can I learn from this experience?  Have there been times I have unknowingly said something in a room, and it meant something deeper to someone else?  I think I would challenge myself that if I'm going to make a statement or judgement about a program or a grouping of people, I need to back that up with the faces and stories those judgements represent.  Will I always be able to do this? Probably not, but maybe the real tool for me to practice is the strength of silent leadership.  Practicing reigning in the power of each word, and perhaps not using words when I shouldn't.  I pray to God for the wisdom in the words I must use when leadership should speak.

No comments:

Post a Comment