Total Pageviews

Tuesday, March 6, 2012

This one's for you

A large factor in my decision to go back to school was the experience I saw through my Dad.  Back when he was about my age, a college degree was that one step above and beyond.  It wasn't expected like it is today.  As we all know, the economy tanked about 4 years ago, and about 3 years ago, the home builder my dad served for more than 15 years went under.  My Dad found himself unemployed for more than two years, as everyone had moved to electronic applications, and now his lack of a college degree was an immediate barrier in the hiring process.  He determined to retool and retrain, and after taking some prerequisite courses, he earned the points and was accepted into Nursing School.

The past two semesters he's shown such commitment.  Now in his upper fifties, he has pulled all nighters and studied more intently than I ever have in my entire education.  Unfortunately, he's had a few more obstacles than his fellow students in the fact that about 7-8 years ago he began to become a medical mystery.  Currently, he struggles with chronic pain, and the stress of school has exacerbated it to such an extent that he can get little relief.  On Sunday, he and my mom made the painful decision to withdraw from the nursing program.  After several semesters of being able to pull A's and B's in some of education's toughest classes, he just has to stop.

Yesterday, on the day that my dad was withdrawing from classes, I went to the dedication of the area's newest educational institution- South University.  My friend, Dr. Marie Neal is the president.  State Rep. Larry Gonzales gave the key note and talked about the value of education, what it meant for his family, as his grandparents stressed it's importance after having little education.  I found my eyes welling up with tears as the moment set in.  My dad and I both had set out on this educational road for the opportunity that the future could bring.  Here in this moment of a brand new school's dedication and all the promise it bodes for future students- my dad's dreams were coming to an end.

While not everyone is meant to or is pursuing an MBA or Masters, I think many consider it, or assume it's something they can do... once they get settled in their job... or once the kids are in school... or once the kids are gone.  These serve as barriers to many I know.  But right now, all I wish is that my dad could have that title, so he could land a job, and as this economy recovers, so could my parents.  And in the future, everyone may have an advanced degree.  So I'm not promised tomorrow, but I have the opportunity and ability now to invest in that future.

This last semester is for you, Dad.

No comments:

Post a Comment