Total Pageviews

Friday, January 28, 2011

Taking Critical Thinking to Politics

This week in Critical Thinking, Dr. Thom briefed our class for our individual and group projects. The individual project will be a paper following an issue or editorial and developing thoughts regarding what issues are being neglected or even hid from the discussion. The group project is related to the budget issue our state and country is currently addressing. We have been given a value related to the deficit and then line items of expenses, and their projected values a few years down the road and then a few more years past that. Our goal- balance the budget.

I sit on the Legislative and Public Policy Committee for the Round Rock Chamber of Commerce, and this morning, Friday, we had our first Public Policy Forum to the community. We had such a great response for attendance that we had to move to the Library next door. In attendance we had State Reps Gonzales, Schwertner and Strama. State Representative Mark Strama is a friend of mine, and so I was glad to personally invite him to the forum.

All three did a great job of addressing budget cuts, redistricting and funding strategies. This peeked my interest and provided a great lens through which to begin my approach of the Critical Thinking group project. Also, afterwards, I had a small audience with Larry and Mark, and we were able to briefly discuss budget cuts, and ramifications to social services. Mark asked how this may affect Children At Heart Ministries, whom I am a fundraiser and champion for. Intentionally our structure has sectioned any state funded programs to our STARRY organization, which provides services such as foster care, adoptions, emergency shelter and no-cost counseling to our community. I mentioned my individual project in my Critical Thinking class, and asked them both where would be a great source to follow the issue of budget cuts related to social services. They both provided resources, and we will all be waiting to see the appointments they receive, as Larry may be working on a committee with a related article.

What this all will mean to my project, but more importantly, the children served by our services is yet to be seen. A greater amount of clarity will be pursued through the use of this project, and I am so appreciative to have an assignment that will compliment the impact of my position in the real world.

I'll keep you updated on the project and the things I learn as we continue the path towards Critical Thinking!

No comments:

Post a Comment