Total Pageviews

Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Half Way through Org. Behavior and Change

I debated a bit the title of this posting... I certainly don't want people thinking I'm just counting my weeks through this program, but it is a bit hard to believe that this week marked halfway through a class I felt just started.

I've really enjoyed Org Behavior and Change.  After a class like Accounting, I was ready for a class that I had some foreknowledge about.  My Psychology background in this class has been really helpful, and I feel it enables me to take my critical thinking to the next level.

This brings me to another- "why to pick Concordia as your MBA" point- Traveling through your MBA with the same cohort allows you to be on a subject by subject journey.  In putting this program together, they employed a Curriculum Architect, meaning- the courses are intended to build on one another.  In a lot of programs, you take similar classes, but self register, which means you sign up for what you want to, but there may not be the understanding as you go along of how to build the classes on top of each other.  Of course, they have some classes that require prereqs, but that's not the same as a well placed Leadership and Critical Thinking Course near the beginning of the program to help shape the lenses through which you view the rest of the classes.  I think this is so wonderfully intentional!

This is the last week with our original groups.  This week we are to email the professor and program director with people we think we would like to work with, and a majority of this next class will be focused on coming to a class consensus of the arrangement of new teams.  There are some nerves in the room, and sometimes arrangements like this can appear as the analogy of picking teams in gym class, but I'm confident that with the level of professionalism of my fellow students and the organization of the evening, we are all going to be excited about the teams we are working with for the next 3 semesters.

On a side note- I'm an active participant in life, and generally cannot focus on just one thing.  So one month ago, I decided to balance school, work and training for my very first 5K.  This was not just any 5K, it was the First Annual SHAPE Diva Dash 5K and OBSTACLE COURSE.  Now this sounds like a feat in itself, however it was a much greater feat for myself, who one month ago almost passed out from trying to run one mile straight.  I assembled a team of Divas, from my friend all the way in OKC to KC who is in my cohort.  The 7 of us ran like we've never run before, and it was an awesome feat!  Even in the midst of studies, work and our biggest event of the year, there was time to train, run and complete my first 5K!

1 comment:

  1. You are something special! Enjoyed the read!

    ReplyDelete