Total Pageviews

Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Out of The Neutral Zone and into New Beginnings

If there's one thing I've really learned about myself over the last couple of years it is how I react to change.  I like to dive in and get things done, and I don't campout for long in the land of tranisition.

In change, this can't always be done so quickly.  I'm thinking about a couple of models of change that go hand in hand that we've learned in Org Behavior and Change... the Lewin's "ice cube" Model and the Bridges Model.  The Lewin Model says that the org needs to be unfrozen (Phase 1).  Then there is movement (Phase 2) and then refreeze (Phase 3) within this new structure.  Bridges also has three phases in his model.  Endings, Neutral Zone, and New Beginnings. In Endings you have to move through a process of showing why "HERE" is no longer good enough.  (Which was touch on masterfully by a guest speaker we had in class this week).  In the New Beginnings stage, you often move into Lewin's third stage, and this is where you continue with the transformation put in place. 

It's this "Neutral Zone" that I just wrestle with.  Often times it feels like the Twilight Zone.... you are neither here nor there.  Bridges expands to say that this time is neccessary for parties to really mourn the loss of no longer staying here and find themselves really ready for transformation and what's to come "THERE".  But he warns this is a very uncomfortable place for people and the team shouldn't be left there for long.  I find I have a quick transition phase and embrace change readily.  However, considering leadership, its about how the team percieves this transition and how readily they are able to move through this phase.

As I've alluded to, we've been preparing for months that our original set teams would be switching up this week.  When we started class, I just felt a peace, and ready to proceed however the teams would be arranged.  I hit the end of my own Neutral Zone.  However, as a cohort, not everyone was there.  We went through some practices to warm up the group to seeing the new picture.  The teams were instructed, not using words, to seek out teams and then look around the room to see how the dynamics worked for the team, and how they worked for the individual groups.  Then we were allowed to use words, and were given brief times to discuss with our potential group roles and presentation preparation styles.  In a final mix up, we were asked if we felt good about our teams and good about the group dynamics.  One team pointed out that my group lacked diversity.  We switched out Jim and we got to get Kevin, from my original group.  There was another two groups with commuters who after dicussions realized that the distance wouldn't impair their learning teams or project development.  Finally, there was one last cohort dynamic, that several people pointed out.  Two gals from our cohort have really hit it off after being in the same group, and you can tell their friendship extends out of class.  They are both strong, type As, with take charge personalities.  I think the group as a whole kinda wanted to see the two of them independently.  However, the class came to a consensus that it wasn't an issue, and the teams were set in stone.

These teams will be ours for the next 12 months.  We'll work hard together and begin completing a working agreement within the team to ensure everyone is putting forth their best work, and that there is an understanding to how the team works.  There was even some discussion as to how delinquent members would be dealt with... an action plan and even the idea of should the group consider a potential firing from the project?  These decision will be made at a higher level, but its nice that the teams are empowered to confirm expectations and help other teamates meet those levels. 

As for me- I'm very excited about the collaborative nature of our team.  Each member is strong and can stand on their own two legs.  I see the leadership in this group is viewed as empowering rather than take charge.  I know I will feel challenged to take my contributions up to the next level, and learn from my team new styles and tools of leadership!

On a professional front, I really see these Models of Organization Change at play in my own office.  After two decades of leadership our President is retiring at the end of the year.  While formally announced earlier this year, talk of such change had been circulating for over a year.  I can see how we are in Lewin's Movement phase, and concurrently in Bridge's Neutral Zone.  Just as people are nearing completion of this ambiguous state, the rumors of additional leadership changes forces this stage to continue. Bridges warns that left too long in this stage, you will see an affect on employee morale.

Last week I learned in class about how some teams do reflections at the beginning of meetings  through fellow students.   My friend explained that this is a time just before meetings that a short story, prayer or thought can be expressed to empower a team and fuel them on the purpose of our mission.  Just before a meeting I led last Thursday, I decided to employ this option, and read a short verse and paragraph on the value of stewardship.  I hope this was an encouragement to our team, and was just a little reminder of the great vision and mission set before us.

The good thing I see for our work team is that when change does occur, we will be ready.  And those who are not, and those who cannot get behind this change can be given the opportunity to get on the train or stay at the station, but we will not be camping out in the Neutral Zone for longer than we have to.  It's time for New Beginnings!

No comments:

Post a Comment