Total Pageviews

Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Greater Things

Last Friday I had the fortune of presenting to the graduating class of Leadership Round Rock.  This incredible group of people banned together for the sake of others, and as a result, the Texas Baptist Children's Home's central kitchen was completely renovated, with donations totalling over $65,000.

As soon as I arrived at the dinner, I strategically found a chair (nearest to the bathroom, if I'm being honest), and little did I know, it was the head table and I sat across from Supreme Court Justice Dale Wainwright.  Throughout the evening both Justice Wainwright and Mayor Alan McGraw talked of love for the community, and my heart began to grow with this new ache God has put in my heart for my community through my MBA program.  As it came closer to time for me to stand to this group for what was next in the program, I began to pray.  I wanted the words that I said to address the group to be words that were filled with gratitude.  That these astonishing individuals in the room would know to the fullest what would be the impact and beyond of their actions for our great community.

At the close of the night, I went to say goodbye to Justice Wainwright and thank him for his attendance. 

To be honest, he was someone who is going to leave such a lasting impression on me.  For God to have given him such honor, and the man chooses to embrace grace, humility and a witty sense of humor.  Its a great example to aspire to. 

As the clamor of goodbyes rolled around us, Justice Wainwright handed me his card and asked that I call him the next morning related to a commission focused on children and families as they relate to our justice system and cases of abuse and neglect.

I called, and we spoke.  He asked me to check out the website for this particular commission, and if I had interest, he asked me to consider following through with a letter to another of the Justices to pursue a role on that commission.

For now, it's a matter of prayer, but I can't help but see God's hand leading through my MBA to this very moment.  During our call Justice Wainwright discussed several items related to the current Foster Care and Adoptive Systems of Texas.  Thankfully, through my work in my MBA, I had already been doing policy briefings on the Foster Care Redesign, and was able and ready to share with the Justice.

Today, after picking up some lunch, and on my drive back to my office I was struck by a moment.  A moment to realize that at age 28, God is potentially opening some doors that carry the weight of responsibility beyond what one might even think of in a lifetime.  I remembered back to age 5 or 6 when I took God up on his offer to have plans for my little life, and that I would be ready for wherever He called. 

Two songs then came on- Casting Crown's new song "Jesus, Friend of Sinners" and Chris Tomlin's "You're the God of this City."  A couple years ago, on my way to a Mayor's Prayer Breakfast, God gave me the second song to sing over my community.  To strongly believe that "greater things are yet to come, and greater things are still to be done here"... it's as if God is whispering this greater plan to me, and I'm seeking my part.  Then the first song hit in... its a song that brings tears to my eyes each time I hear it, really taking aim at the line that so many Christians have drawn between "us" and "them".

We are all "them."

I thought again of even the chance to serve on this commission at a state level.  The children and families represented through this commission... they are us.  The chance to work hand in hand collaboratively with others from all different perspectives, beliefs and backgrounds is an incredible opportunity.  To rally in our diversity to have a great perspective and potentially a greater solution to the hurts and needs of our families... our children.

There is still much to pray about, but I'm just so thankful for the careful cultivation God has been doing through my education to embrace the greater things that are yet to come, and the greater things that are still to be done here.

No comments:

Post a Comment