Total Pageviews

Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Week 5- half way through Marketing, one-third through Economics

I can't believe we are half way through our Marketing class. I feel like it was just a couple of weeks ago that I was so anxious for classes to start. And here we are, just completing our second test, and in the middle of two group projects and a personal project. I won't lie, Marketing has kept my hands full. Each week you can expect to read 3-4 chapters, do a paper on each of those chapters debating a topic introduced that week, and then another paper on a current events article on marketing or review an ad. Add into that the 2 group projects and your own company review, and there just seems to always be more to get done than there is time for.

I enjoy Professor Warren's teaching. He's very conversational, and you feel comfortable speaking out in class. Last night he seemed to have switched up the pace, and I'm not sure if it was because we had another test, or what, but we were able to take the debates from the previous week and provide our insight from around the room in conversation with the whole class. I enjoyed hearing everyone's perspective.

One thing I am having to get used to is there seems to be 4 different resources to plug into to make sure you have all the information for your class. Concordia Email, Blackboard, Campus Pack, and My Info. I watch my email carefully, but was unaware that messages were being posted to blackboard, so when Prof Warren gave us the week off from 3 of the papers, I didn't catch it, and just kept with the syllabus. I was a little frustrated to find out on Sunday when our group met for discussing our group project that those weren't required.

Marketing is full, and it's also fast paced. We are having to fit a full semester's worth of education into 10 weeks. That means that this week I need to read the Marketing and PR book that was originally slotted to take a couple of weeks to go through. It also means we are having to briefly cover everything instead of getting deeply into the details, which feels just a little more like undergrad, but a good transition back into the swing of school. I was hoping to mention that last night, because the program said we would be surveyed midway through a course to provide input before an entire semester passes by, but for one reason or another the surveys didn't come.

Economics is almost like that wild card. In Econ we have 2 tests, 1 group project, and participation that make up our grades. Dr. Estrada mentions something about the mid-term test each week, and how it's designed for practical use of managerial economics, but just the unknown of how much time we will have to complete it, what the questions will be phrased like, and if we will have notes or an open book available is making a few of us nervous. I don't have much time outside of class to dedicate to economics with how busy Marketing keeps me, but I learn when Dr. Estrada teaches. I read the chapters, and am prolly at about 85% comprehension, and then he shows practical applications, and suddenly the equations make sense and purpose is clear. We have been taking the chapters slower than the syllabus, but I appreciate that Dr. Estrada is dedicated to quality, and ensuring the concepts are grasped, and I hear the same appreciation for Dr. Estrada from my fellow students.

Kudos to Professor Warren and Dr. Estrada. They are blazing new trails with us, and I'm thankful for their efforts.

No comments:

Post a Comment