Total Pageviews

Tuesday, May 1, 2012

The Beginning of the End

I've been thinking for a week or so on my next post... what to write about... With Leadership's requirement of a weekly leadership reflection, I ended up feeling a little "all reflected out".  Since my last posting, we did wrap up the end of semester 5, and tonight we start the beginning of the end. 

Tonight's the first class of Semester 6... the last and final semester of the Concordia MBA.  I sometimes have a hard time believing that I'm really in that place that 5 semesters ago felt so far away. 21 months have passed, we are about to embark on the subjects of Entrepreneurship and our capstone projects.  Also, not to be forgotten, the final leadership class titled Making a Difference.

As we head into our first class, I was a little frustrated.  Again, before even having a class, we have over 100 pages of reading to do, and perhaps even a presentation to start in outlining a prospectus on our capstone project.  And then I remember, this is the last time I have to do this, and for me that took the edge off.

Actually, some of that reading was pretty interesting.  The Consultant's Calling got my brain spinning.  I love the author's perspective.  He works 70 days a year, focuses on living within his means, and focuses on the freedom he has with his time in life.  It was the first time in a business text where I felt this life value come through.  He admits that jealousy sometimes gets the best of him, and he envies those who make 3 times as much because they work 3 times as much, but when it comes back to his central beliefs, he can live on less so he has the time to live more on his own terms.

It sounds appealing, and I'm really looking forward to what I learn in class this semester to apply to my work currently.  I love innovation.  I love looking at the why's of the things we do.  I'm hoping this semester will really help me to take things to that next level.  We've got 15 weeks to see if that pans out, but as of going into my first class of the last semester I feel the beginning of the end is really where it's all just beginning.

No comments:

Post a Comment