Total Pageviews

Tuesday, July 5, 2011

The manufacturing of endurance.

Count it all joy, my brothers, when you meet trials of various kinds, for you know that the testing of your faith produces steadfastness. And let steadfastness have its full effect, that you may be perfect and complete, lacking in nothing. James 1:2-4

James is one of my favorite books in the Bible.  Though separated by a couple thousand years, I really appreciate the author's sense of candor, and his words currently strike a chord.

I mentioned several posts ago that my husband and I would be taking our annual hiking trip.  This year's National Park was Yosemite.  I have a hard time trying to put into words the grandeur that is this park.  Matt and I flew in Thursday, and were pleasantly surprised after 100+ degree temps to find California coastal weather.  After a brief 3 hour drive from Sacramento, we arrived, and quickly found the importance of layering... We stayed in Curry Village (also known as Camp Curry), and for our first night in canvas tents, the temps dropped to 29 degrees.  I slept with 2 sleeping bags, two wool blankets, a sheet, a fleece, and then a scarf, beanie, gloves and my Tajik socks.  The next day warmed to upper 50s, and we took the Misty Trail to Vernal Falls and on up to the Nevada Falls and down the John Muir Trail.  The Misty Trail had quite a few steps, but the scenery was incredible.  It was about 2,000 ft change in elevation.  Here are some pictures from that first day.
Here we are starting from our tents- Notice the use of layering! 
Here I'm just starting out... I now recognize that when you get moving, and blue polar jacket is not necessary, even if the temp is 40 degrees.

Did I mention stairs?  This is where we just saw Vernal Falls and decided to continue on to Nevada Falls.



This is Nevada Falls.  We're hiking to the top of that!


We made it to the top!  Day 1- Accomplished... now, just got to make it back down!





















I liken this first day's hike to semesters I and II.  Were there challenges?  You bet!  It had been since September that we were in Yellowstone and The Grand Tetons, and our muscles weren't used to being used in this way.  So is it with going back to school after any extended period of time.  But just when you think I can't do one more stair/ group project... you find yourself at a point of accomplishment!

Day Two is what I call second phase.  My team and I really pushed ourselves on day one, and the soreness starts to set in.  But for all of us, that wasn't going to keep us from seeing, experiencing and doing.  Day two we headed to the Upper and Lower Falls of Yosemite.  These falls are the second largest in our nation, and again another 2,000 ft change in elevation.  This, I knew would be our more strenuous hike, and I knew I had the shortest legs out of the bunch, so already it would be a bit more of a challenge for me.  However, I did not know what type of challenge I would be in for.  I lost track of the number of switch backs, but remember there being some exorbitant number, and that this hike is reportedly 14 miles round trip.  Much of the hike was stepping/leaping from granite rock to granite rock, and trying not to twist an ankle or fall.  I lost track of how many times I almost did both, had it not been for my handy dandy hiking poles.
Here's a picture of what we were attempting:

Notice the trail- this was when the trail was easier...

It took so long to get to the top, and half way up in began to rain.  (Did I mention highs this day were like 42 degrees?)  By the time I got to the top, I had lost feeling in my fingers, and I loved what we could see of the view through the clouds, but knowing the trail I had to get back down, I couldn't help but feel a bit of dread.  My crew was so wonderful to allow me to take the lead down, and I led the entire 7 miles down.  You would think downhill should be easier, but now with granite rock covered in sand and mist and the force of gravity making you move pretty quick can take a toll on your knees, and every part of me began to give in to the thoughts "You know, these other hikers would already be at the bottom, if it weren't for you" or "Why am I so klutzy on these dumb rocks? There are people even trail running this!"  About half way down I almost gave into my own little pity party... not even the Grand Canyon, rim to rim, mastered me, but this one day hike was trying to master me.  Just in time, We hit the sandy switchbacks, and I was back to sure footing and almost jogging down the trail.  The elevation flew, and it was really before I knew it that we were back down to the trail head.  I had a tremendous sense of accomplishment.  I was wet, cold, and achy, but I looked up at those falls, and knew, it was I that mastered them!

I feel that Semester 3 is much like this second phase.  Maybe being that it's summer, I have felt disconnected from program leadership... there's been some changes in the Program Director, and balls have dropped in the mid course survey, and Ethics hasn't met my expectations, but all this is part of being part of this inaugural class.  The trail isn't always smooth, and not only does Finance provide a challenge, having never taken a finance class before, but there's summer, and reaching a point where we've been pushing so hard, that you just aren't sure what's left to give.... and then it comes... the moment, when you determine... who will be mastered, and that just as this trail provided opportunities for trials and tests, we've garnered the endurance and perseverance that my friend James alludes to leading to steadfastness.  So hang tight!  You can do it, knowing that the test provides the opportunity for character endurance, and this will prove to be a greater challenge and reward than any Ethics or Finance class could ever provide.

1 comment: